The Fort is situated at the mouth of Mandovi river, 19 km from Panaji. It was built in 1612 and supposed to have the first lighthouse in lighthouse in Asia having a room for ammunition, barrack and a church. It was a place of strength and power. It houses a jail today. Agua means water in Portuguese. It is said that once this place had seven fountains and the ships used to halt here for collecting sweet water.
Chapora fort commands the hilltop at the north end of the bay. It is an exquisite and interesting fort of the Goa coastline. It was built by the Portuguese in 1617 as a border watchpost. The Fort is made of red laterite, but now just some scattered remains are found of it. The tunnels which were the supply routes of the besieged defenders are still seen here. This fort is 22 kms from Panaji. North of Chapora, on the Siolim road, Badem Church overlooking the estuary is one of the nicest sunset spots.
Terekhol Fort is situated on the north west side of Goa and lies within the green and hilly valley in between Terekhol river and Arabian Sea. The fort was built by the Marathas at the beginning of the 18th century later on but was captured by the Portuguese in 1745. In 1794, for a brief spell, it was occupied by the Marathas. In 1825, the people revolted against the then Goanese Governor General D Barnado Peres De Silver, but the revolt was a short lived one. Then again in 1954, the freedom struggle gained momentum in Terekhol.
They were joined by the foot march column protesters from allover India. Its leadership was given by Shri Tridib Chowdhury of Bengal. The death of the Satyagrahis in 1955 hastened the independence. The Therekhol Fort is the mute spectator of this independence struggle. Regular buses ply from Panaji
Regis Magos Fort
Reis Magos gets its name from the church of the Magi Kings in its surroundings. It was built by Don Alfonso de noronha between 1551 and 1554. in 1703, it was rebuilt; 35 years later it had to face the Maratha onslaught on Bardez and alone with fort Aguada remained in Portuguese hands.It was a continuation of the fort of Aguada to help as an added protection from the enemy at the mouths of the Mandovi river. This fort is located in a village Reis Magos, which is located on the river bank apposite to Panaji, 6 kms away from it.
Cabo Raj Bhavan
Cabo Raj Niwas, now Raj Bhawan, the state Governor’s house. A viewing platform near the entrance gives superb views over the sweep of the coastline across the Mandovi estuary to Fort Aguada.